Tuesday 15 June 2010

'Are You A Jap?? Honestly... You Sneak Up Like One"

The One Where I Prove I Can Stick Out A TV Series


I didn't want Pacific to end. It's everything I want in a TV series. Short, sharp, fulfilling.

There's very little that could have been trimmed here.

It's everything that Lost and 24, should have been.


People don't seem to even be debating whether it's on a par with Band of Brothers, let alone whether it's better than it. It may go down as the most under appreciated TV series of all time. Whether that's down to Lost finishing, we'll never know. It literally crept in the back door, though. I read a lot of TV and movie sites, that would normally cover it. They didn't.

My mentality means I would have adopted it, on this basis alone. But it's brilliant TV, too.


There are images I won't be able to shake, and at times it's made me truly stop, and think.

The problem is, we've seen it all before. Quiet bits at home, then big bangs, then writing home. It's a greatest hits of war movies. It needs to strike a chord as a theme. I loved it. Loved that it had one last hour of "heroes" returning home - and not understanding the world around them.

Similarities with how a lot of people are feeling about Iraq, seeps through. What's the point? Why are we here? When the soldiers return, via train, there is a sense of... what now? For themselves, and for the world. As flares go up, to celebrate the end of the war, a lead character looks empty. Like he knows nothing else. Like he is unsure of what tomorrow holds.


The final episode reminded me of Deer Hunter. One soldier returns home, and goes to see the girl of his dreams, who he's lived opposite for 20 years. Her Mum, doesn't even recognize him. Like he's nobody. She can't go out with him, as a date is on the way. He has a car. He is also a soldier.

"Where did you serve?"

"Oh, I just graduated"

"OK. Shame you missed the war"

This will be a Blu Ray purchase, for as sharp as it looks, Gray keeps reminding me Sky only transmit in 720p. It's a fair point. The truth is, it's worthy of a purchase, anyway. A lot of people have gathered this up, to watch in one go. I'm glad I saw it first, but that might be the smart way to watch it.

I've loved watching it. The little touches. Like sleepless nights. And pouring whiskey into coffee, to get through the day.

I've hated the realisation that I am a coward, and would run a mile if called up. Above all else, I've loved being reminded that for some, tomorrow never comes.

3 comments:

fionak26 said...

Although my sister will probably raise an eyebrow at the title to this....I have to agree with everything. I. LOVED. IT (but not as much as Band of Brothers) - the last episode was awesome (a word i don't use often) and made me cry buckets. I'm sure the theme of that episode is as relevant today as was portrayed then. Tick VG B x

@maverick99sback said...

Cheers Fi.

I'd like to state that all my titles are film quotes, and this one ^, was from that very last episode!

No offence meant.

For a change. ;-)

Gray Collins said...

I'll probably watch it in a year ;)