Saturday 17 July 2010

The One Where We Review Inception


I'm as guilty as anyone for hyping this film up. I trust Chris Nolan, though. See Diary of a Ledger Monday, for more on that. He doesn't seem to think like others. He crafts a story, and tries to be unique in the way he tells it - fully aware there may not be any truly unique ideas left in the world.

The Ledgers went to see Inception last night. Gray will review it, so hit the link above for that. Cheese? Who knows. It may be the sort of thing that pulls him out of self imposed retirement. Below, though, as a trial, is JMcG and my opinions.

Literally cut and pasted from a FB chat. Unedited, so apologies for any naughty language. But Inception is the sort of film that makes your jaw drop, and your mind melt - all the while thinking... Holy shit. They actually did it.





Me
Good evening JMcG...

Give us your verdict, then...

10:04am
film of the year.
10:04am
Me
I was quite excited to dream last night... not like that... it made me wonder whether I could "dream within a dream"!



10:06am
that was the concept that got me most interested
10:06am
Me
I think LFF were right that it "pinches" from other films (I linked that review below), but it just seemed fresh, and new. I felt "smart" for following it. I'll think about the ending forever.

10:12am
It had shades of matrix and nightmare on elm street but it felt original - you're totally right.
10:12am
Me
What I loved most was that it was so grounded in reality. It's the sort of film that will get remade in ten years, and they'll screw it up. I thought from the trailer people could fly... Matrix style... but it's far more "real" than that. There are rules

Like the Elm Street thing, btw

If nothing else, the haters will need to lay off Lady Boy Leo... The Boy became a man!

Cries happy tears

10:14am
Me
(Have you died?)

(Or gone back to sleep?)

10:14am
sorry - i'm having chairs delivered and they just called!
10:15am
Me
FFS!

10:17am
Me
...

...

(I would never treat you with such contempt, dead readers)

10:17am
anyway back to the film - Leo was so good in this movie mainly because he reigned it in a little. He let the story/concept take the lead.
10:18am
Me
Yeah. he was solid.

10:18am
and with such a strong cast around him too.
10:18am
Me
I think it's the best film he's been in, but could name five better performances.

Tom Hardy FTW! (Mad Max just jumped onto my radar, BIG TIME!)

10:19am
Tom Hardy was so good in this it made me forget about Star Trek Nemesis
10:19am
Me
Haha

almost

What do you think about a sequel?

10:20am
i would HATE to see that. The ending was perfect and i think they should just let it be.
Although they left it open it felt complete
10:21am
Me
I've been thinking it may be my fave last shot of a film...

Ever.

Like the film, it rewards you.

Zimmers best score?

10:22am
best recent score. i still have favourites (Rain Man, The Rock) that would take some beating.
10:22am
Me
Yeah, fair enough.

Is Nolan the most important director in the world right now?

I appreciate I may have asked that about the Wachowskis (sp) back in the day...

...if I'd known you!

10:24am
Difference is Nolan has a lot more to offer. The Wachowskis sadly didn't
10:25am
Me
I'm really interested to see if Nolan can "save 3-D" before Hollywood ruins it

...if they haven't already.

Imagaine a James cameron film, based on an idea by Nolan

Also... if you google Nolan.. it still comes up with the Nolan Sisters!

I love the fact in a pub quiz, a lot of people could only name 2/3 of his films. He's still under the radar, despite Bats

10:27am
The zero gravity scene would have been interesting to see in 3D but i'm glad it was just a standard 2D film where story and performance took centre stage. The effects were stunning though.
10:27am
Me
Totally.

And they serviced the plot, better than any film I've ever seen.

10:27am
Watch out Nolan sisters. Christopher is gunning for you.
10:27am
Me
The fact the "folding City" was in the first 20...

That takes balls.

Although I worry it also means it's been mis-sold.

Hollywood Blockbuster in name only.

TFFT!

10:29am
Absolutely. The thinking mans blockbuster.
10:29am
Me
Put that on your poster, Nolan Sisters!

The worrying thing?

10:29am
go on
10:30am
Me
I'm not sure there is an awful lot left in 2010

Why did you make me get an Unlimited card?

YOU JERK!

10:31am
Because you can go and see Inception again and again. And then a rom com
10:31am
Me
Haha.

Good answer!

Empire ruined Splice for you, with a single pic

It's nice to know, even though I read tons of reviews

nothing ruined this

Suprise after suprise.

10:33am
Me
check phone

...

...

...

10:33am
i purposely avoided reading up on it (empire review aside) and i'm glad i did. It felt like the old days, before internet where you just were totally surprised by what you were seeing on the screen.
i'm done now.
10:33am
Me
I thought that last night, ref Matrix

How it came from nowhere.

Nice to know every once in a while a film can blow you away...

Regardless of the hype.

Cheers Champ.

See you next week for Splice?

I hear there's Alien Sex!

FFS.

SPOILER

10:35am
Dam it!











So that's it. Don't forget to pop over to Diary of a Ledger to see his verdict. I think he liked it, but best to make sure. Cheers for reading, as ever. If you like the idea of the FB Chat, let us know. If you like the site, just hit the "like" button at the top left. It would mean a lot to know people are actually reading my Diary.

I personally owe Phil at Live For Film a big thanks, as his honest 6/10 review helped lower my expectations. "Don't worry", he tweeted, "You may well enjoy it immensely". He added. He was right. Before adding... "Your Blog is delightful, old chap - keep up the good work! ...But stop taking all the cool shit, from my own splendid site."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

facebook chat was a great addition to this, Mav! :D

@maverick99sback said...

Cheers Sare.

My heart stopped when it wouldn't C&P the chat over!

Had to put it into Word first.

Takes all of the work out of writing, too, as Flash and I do that anyway.

Cheers for reading!