Saturday 15 May 2010

"I Just Know That Every Man I Kill... The Farther Away I Feel From Home"

The One Where I Finally Get Private Ryan


Last but not least, Saving Private Ryan. It's getting recalled, ironically for sound issues. 

It sounds amazing. Frighteningly real.



My copy works fine, and again, it's the most I've "enjoyed" the film. I love Tom Hanks in this film. The bit where he tells his team who he is, and what he does, is immense. 

This is probably the film where I started to follow Barry pepper, too. Green Mile and 25th Hour are two of my all time favourites. He needs a break.

It's one of the few out and out brilliant Tom Sizemore roles. Apart from Wesley Snipes, did anyone blow their career as bad  as this guy? 

Omaha is as visceral as you would expect. Boom, blast and ruin. It's text book stuff. Robin Hood even riffs on it, for a Dover climax. It's not a perfect film, and it's not even my "favourite" war movie. But it plays brilliantly. It makes me know I was right to get a massive screen, and a kick ass surround sound.

The killer role for me though, is Jeremy Davies. He plays the role as I imagine I would be in a real war. At times the camera is mounted on his shoulder. The end, where he lets a German go, after not being able to save his comrade is heartbreaking. I've played enough MW2 to know he could have thrown a grenade of any sort, then jumped in there, "fragging" the German. Reality check. 'Aint gonna happen. Wouldn't want it too. The way he then breaks down on the stairs, crying, is just superb film making. And top, top drawer acting. Again, he needs a break.


One other thing I had never noticed was the way SS lets the light shine up or down, through a shot. It's amazing. Like god is reaching into the shot, trying to take soldiers away. Brilliant, brilliant film. I've neglected it for too long.

Bravo, Spielberg. Bring on Minority Report. *does Tom Cruise thing, where he plays with holograms, mid air*

No comments: