Saturday 15 May 2010

"I See You"

The One Where Avatar Looks Great... Even In 1080i


So I've been a bit rubbish updating the Blu section, even though it probably feels like I only ever write about films!

I've seen a couple of note recently. Reservoir Dogs zipped along, and it was the most I've ever enjoyed it. We watched Planet Terror on the Stag, which just plays really well with a group of lads, beered up. I have plenty stacked up to watch, and a couple I will buy come pay day. Those being Tombstone, Sherlock Holmes (really intrigued if that was as good as I remember), Valhalla Rising, Minority Report (Steel case!), and The Road.


There were two I thought needed quick reviews though - especially if anyone rents or buys Blu's and cares about my opinion.

First up, Avatar.



Mrs T and I watched this the night before the Stag. It's brilliant. Looks so good, but it was the sound that hit me. I watched the end battle, (that Planet Hollywood hilariously ruined for four of the Stags, by playing 15 minutes of it, during our meal!), again before leaving, cranking it right up.

I like Worthington's performance, the more I see it. The end battle is always better than I remember, and it's just cool to see a fresh, new idea.

See it on as large a TV as possible, and think seriously about those 3-d TV's that are popping up. You know, in places like John Lewis. ;-)

What surprised me most was how well it works in 2-d. I prefer the 3-d, but for a bare bones Blu to not make me feel like I've been fleeced is impressive. It's getting a theatrical re-release with 15 minutes or so added in. That version will then be out on Blu in November. It will, without doubt, be a day and date purchase.

My initial thoughts can be found... just... about... here.

1 comment:

KendallJaye said...

Zombieland > Deathproof > Planet Terror (even with beer)

#thatisall

-KJC