Monday 8 November 2010

The One Where He Is My Father



Oh my god. What a film.

Dad and I went to see this in Naples, Florida. Both movie geeks, wanting to experience an American cinema.

I'll be honest. I wanted to see Signs. But Dad. Dad knew this was going to be a classic.

The thing is, I've never really watched this film since. I have no idea why.

When I heard the Bluray had an intro by Sam Mendes with him drooling over the rain scene... how it made him realise the scene was as good as he always wanted it to be... Well. Sold.

The sound too, in 7.1 DTS, is now regarded as a demo disc by most. The power of the guns is just immense. Brilliantly portrayed.

Dad and I watched some video footage of that Florida holiday last Saturday.

2002. I proposed to Julie, my gorgeous wife.

All in, the best holiday I've ever had.

But something was missing.

My Grandad didn't come.

And Dad and I can't remember why.

He would have loved it, too.

It's a real old school film. Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Towards the end, when Michael Sullivan looks out of the window. Well, I hope for a different ending. But it has to play out like that.

Everyone has had a father, at some point. I'm not sure there is a better Father/Son movie.

Besides... Granddad would have gone NUTS at the amount of adverts we got.



"When people ask me if Michael Sullivan was a good man... I reply... He was my Father".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesus man you've made me cry. Dad would have loved it, your right.I still think the best scene is Hanks / Newman playing the piano....

@maverick99sback said...

You've made me cry - look at you, with your little google account!

*Ruffles hair*