Tuesday 8 June 2010

"I Vote We Go Back To The Slaughtered Lamb"

The One Where I Fall In Love With WolfMan. Again.



If people didn't like WolfMan because of this picture - I'd say that was OK. This was the first image. The promise of no CGI. Of Benicio, looking like he was born to play the part. It's not the movie that I just watched. Four years later, there will be two camps. Those that are gutted. Then those that are glad the movie is here in any shape, or form.




I've already reviewed WolfMan. Since then, I've been waiting for the Blu Ray. I think that makes it clear which camp, I'm in.


Peoples main objection, is tone. It jars from beautiful gothic imagery, to vicious attack scenes, back to Abberlines accent. But does it jar badly? Danny Elfmans score, booming out. Originally cut, then reinstated. It's overly gory, sure. But so are Dracula, and Interview With A Vampire. They belong in the same universe. So, does it jar badly?

Not for me. I like all three of those elements. I wrote about Gothic Fiction for my dissertation, and have always loved the imagery. This film is text book. Everything about it. screams that it is beautiful to look at. Untrusting also, though. What's in the shadows? Everything lit by gun fire - including WolfMans first appearance. Candle lights flickering, or being blown out menacingly.

Abberline hunting him is a masterstroke, too. From Jack The Ripper, to the Wolfman. I love that idea. Of creating worlds. Of letting characters have history, and a world to live and breath in. It adds to the mythos, for me.


Yes, it's gory. I think many miss that it's linked into the comedy though. The scene where WolfMan catches up with a hunter, stuck in sinking sand, and nonchalantly walks up to him - knocking his head clean off. That's funny

I have no real loyalty to the original Universal creations. I get that his first appearance is one long homage, though. Some shots could have literally been lifted from the 1940s. It means that, to  a modern audience, some may find it hokey. Well, the films in on the joke. It gets that.

So what don't I like?

Some of the CGI jars. Overall, though, it adds to the film. It's certainly a million miles from An American werewolf in Paris. I'm OK with it. By the end, if it's bothered you before, you won't connect anyway.

Well, I have an aversion to asylums. I balme House On Haunted Hill. What this film does, is pull that back, with some weird, trippy dream sequences, straight out of David Lynches mind. dream sequences are normally a bug bear, of mine. But they have got ythe tone just right, here. The passage of time, after Benicio is bitten, is just supurb. This particular asylum is treatede to a frantic escape, too. Spilling out onto Londons streets, guts and all.

It looks like I don't need Nolan to restore my faith in asylums, after all. I had hoped for a Heath Ledger appearance in Arkham, in Batman 3. Used from deleted footage. A boy can dream.


The deleted scenes suggest a mixed development. Two alternate endings is never a good sign. So there is definately a case for people not getting the tone. But, and this is sacrilige, isn't it the same with An Americain Werewolf In London? That has nightmares with Zombie Nazis. yet, it's heralded a classic. I love it too. I love Wolf, Ginger Snaps, and even Teen Wolf (sue me). Maybe I just love Wolf films? I certyainly love the mythology. This is faithful to that, for me.

Then, there is a pivitol moment, one hour in. I should hate it. It should change everything. But I don't hate it. Here, it works for me. That worries me. it makes me think I have my blinkers on. I may well do. And do you know what? I'm OK with it.

The Blu itself, looks and sounds stunning. Some of the CGI that people disliked in the cinema, won't look any better here. It's so fast paced, I'd be surprised if it bothers anyone. Sound is class, with a punchy bass for all of the attack scenes. And there's plenty of those.

I'm OK with that, too. 


KJ - The CGI bear was reused from Golden Compass. That little fact makes me love this quirky film, even more.

1 comment:

KendallJaye said...

I think that this is a movie that will get better each time you see it.
Although I'm still seriously pissed off about a CGI bear.

-KJaye