Sunday 22 August 2010

The One Where I Love Staring At Goats (Trying To Kill Them)

"What is it?" "The dark side"


What a quirky little film.

I'm a firm believer that the less you know about a film, the better.

Here though, you'd really need to know at least a little bit. It won't be me that tells you, though. It's the Jedi code...







I've wanted to see this for an age.

It's not really a cinema film, although I did go to the cinema twice in one day on Thursday.

What? I had time to kill.

What is a dead cert, is that Ewan McGregor (who doesn't make enough films), and Clooney are gifted comedic actors.

Here, they just happen to be doing my favourite sort of comedy. Deadpan, playing it straight, with a heavy dose of satire.

The fact that Ewan spends the movie quoting Star Wars and going on about Jedis may have been enough for me.

Add in Clooneys dancing, people trying to kill animals by staring at them, and Jeff Bridges with the greatest pony tail ever... I'm sold.

The film won't be for everyone.

Clooney doesn't get his ass out for a change, and the pace is fairly slow. The comedy reminds me of O' Brother, in how off kilter it is.

That means the emotional stuff doesn't always resonate, but there's a scene late on, that left me gutted - so it is there, if you're willing to look.

Clooney is a great actor. Films like this mean he won't be fully appreciated until he's gone. But I'll take this over  a Hollywood blockbuster, any day.

He learnt his lesson from Batman and Robin, alright. It may actually be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Well, apart from this...





Oh, and I upgraded my Love Film account. So expect more of these. In which case I better bring back movies by numbers... it's what the fans would want...






No comments: