Saturday 17 April 2010

"The Sum Of All Fears"

The One Where I'm Clutching At Straws



One of two things was meant to happen in May, of this year.

1> We win the Premier League for a record fourth time in a row (sounds crazy even writing that!). We would also become the English team with most League titles.

2> We would reach (and win) our third Champions League Final in a row (again, mental. Its been a good few years!).





Then, the third thing... Sir Alex Ferguson leaves Manchester United after a quarter of a Decade.

Love him or loathe him, he went out on top, and a Legend. Period. Not just of Football. Literally one of the best managers of all time, in any profession.

He will still leave that way, but I am growing more and more concerned that he goes in the Summer, on a whimper, and not a win.

He seems distracted. Winning horse races, and doing charity work. I don't blame him. As a person I really struggle to enjoy maintaining success as much as I enjoy the initial success itself. He's maintained the highest standards for 25 years. Its incredible.

Then, of the three available... are they ever going to be more available?

Martin O'Neill. Jose Morinho. David Moyes.

They are my three. All very much uncertain at their clubs, and attainable. Do we really want to see Jose go to Liverpool? Love him or hate him, he wins things. I still think he is going to win the Champions League this year, with his second mediocre team. My first choice is he does it. Goes to Real, and comes back in two years, with Ronaldo, after I've had a few more years with Sir Alex.

Then there's the Red Knights and Glazers. The interesting thing here is we've created history with the Glazers... why would I want them out? Its a long term business plan. Financial reliant on success. And no matter what... this has not been a successful season.

We sold Ronaldo. I have alternate thoughts, on alternate days. He wanted to go. Fact. Probably from day one. Its another reason Berba needs to stay.  He loves the club. Wants to stay. Other days, it was all about the cash.

I'm not buying a green and gold scarf until we aren't getting the players we want. We wanted Berba. Got him on the last day, after he refused to see Hughesy, who thought he had him tied up. He wanted to play for my great club, even though he would have got more down the road.

If you want a fairy tale ending, Fergie leaves, and comes back as part of the Red Knights. Then he would go beyond immortalisation in the eyes of the fans. No question.

No comments: