Thursday 22 April 2010

"You're a big guy... but you're out of shape"

The One Where I Actually Like Michael Caine


Harry Brown is a great film. I had a feeling it would be. I've had it on my Love Film list for a while, but saw it cheap in Blockbusters, so picked it up.

Absolutely brutal. I was actually shocked by the violence, years after thinking I've been desensitised to anything on screen. The opening five minutes reminded me of Narc (probably me fave opening to a movie in the last ten years) - and I was surprised that it kept the momentum going.

I have an irrational hatred of Michael Caine. I don't know why. I've never liked him. I've always blames Cider House Rules for that. Nolans Batman films have helped us build bridges, and this has made a giant leap. He's brilliant in it.

Its seedy as hell, really grimy - making Get Carter look pretty upbeat in comparison. Not the sort of film you enjoy watching, but everything from the music and acting makes it hard not to be involved.

What is says about modern day Britain (although hopefully dramatised and ramped up to 11), makes me sick in my stomach. I went to see Kick Ass again last night. The average guy on the street, who is trying to go vigilante and take matters into their own hands is a common theme. Maybe we need more of them...

If you found the camera work on Narc a bit much... try this remake. Its somehow even worse!

1 comment:

KendallJaye said...

Saw the trailer for this before Boondock Saints II: All Saint's Day. Not released yet in States. VERY EXCITED.
-KJC