Saturday 31 July 2010

The One Where I Think The Rolling Stones Have Always Been The Soundtrack To My Life


I picked up Shine A Light on a 2 for £12 at  Blockbusters. I got it with Nine, for Mrs T. I'm glad one was a success.I can't claim to be a huge Rolling Stones fan. If nothing else because @DiaryOfALedger reads the Blog, and would call me on it.

What I can claim, though, is to have grown up with their music.

And there is a reason for that.


Martin Scorcese.

From growing up with his movies, I realised watching this, I've been humming their tunes most of my life.

When we went for dinner round my Mum and Dads the other day, I took the Mac Book - Not a good sign, as it happens. It's getting surgically attached.

Dad was scrolling through looking at the Hans Zimmer play list, telling me off for not having the Once Upon A Time In America soundtrack... or Gimme Shelter.

That of course playing over the opening scenes to Departed.

I've rectified both of those anomalies, Dad, by the way.


Shine A Light is fascinating. Shot in Black and White, it's shockingly grainy at the start - due to the hand held camera. But it's guerrilla film making - with some hilarious conversations between Mick and Marty on the phone - with  Mick "not getting" the film lighting, or theatrical stage.

The music itself, is what you would expect.

I don't think it's going to make anyone who doesn't get the Stones, get them now.

But if you get them? It's a must watch. One of the worlds greatest Directors, living out a personal dream, of directing one of the biggest bands in the world.

And the last shot? It's up there with Inception for sheer perfection.

And when it switches to colour? Your eyes will bleed. The concert looks stunning - and sounds immense. DTS Stones? Not a bad way to wake up on a dreary Saturday morning...

Gimme Shelter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The opening scene of the Departed, with Gimme Shelter playing as Nicholson gives a taster of whats to come with arguably the performance of his career, is one that will stand the test of time.
The only thing close to it is Travolta's opening speech in Swordfish.
Classics.