Friday 27 August 2010

The One Where It's AT And Scott Pilgrim Versus The World

"What Are You Doing?" "I'm Getting A Life"


I don't think of myself as a geek.

There were people at the cinema last night with blue hair. And Scott Pilgrim badges. 

That's not me.

There were people there with glasses, and lightning bolts on their forehead. And grins, like the kind of grin you have watching Kelly Brooke swim naked. In 3-D. More on that later...

That's not me either, though. That was Gray.

So what would Scott Pilgrim Versus The World mean to me?


Well, lets address the first point. I am a geek. And it turns out this film was made for geeks. By geeks.

It's a brilliant film, regardless of that.

Easily the most eye catching visual style I've seen to a film - it out comic books comic book movies.

Jump to Grays site for a brief run down on the plot - I want to talk about more why it works.

Michael Cera is brilliant. He's one note for a lot of people, and there's not a lot to change your view here. But it works, here. He is just the right side of naive to get away with being a bit of a jerk with women - but nowhere near as much as I'd been led to believe in reviews. He's a really likeable character. And with Cera, you also have the geek look, too. So wearing sweatbands is never going to be construed as anything other than him thinking he looks cool. Just don't mention his shaggy hair. He cuts it himself.

Edgar Wright nailed Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz. I love both films, but think they are overrated.

What appeals here is that this film is getting good to outstanding reviews, but it's all under the radar.

As Gray says in his review, not a lot of people have "got" Scott Pilgrim. Is that detrimental to the film? A little. Maybe they've pandered so much to the geek pound, that they have alienated a potential Rom-Com audience (because that's what it is, although it's so much more than that, too).

I don't care, though. 


Gray is also right about the walking tall when you leave the cinema bit. I was meeting JMcG for a brewski afterwards, and as we saw him, we both did running kung fu kicks, and probably a WHAPOW noise. Hopefully only in our heads.

Go and see this film. You'll know after the 8-Bit Universal sign whether it's for you. That gave me a smile that never dropped through out the film. 

My concern over pacing was eradicated when I realised the final thirty minutes was balls to the walls action. With coins being earned left right and centre.

A couple of mis steps towards the end were crucially pulled back. In my mind I knew  a lot of my enjoyment hinged on the last ten, and I'm glad they stuck to their guns, and the spirit of the film.


The film reminds me of Kick Ass, where I am 100% sure everyone that avoided it at the cinema because of the whole Hit Girl thing, will realise they should have had an opinion themselves.

Plus, it dive bombing n the States was to the benefit of Expendables, and Piranha 3-D. And I'm all for that. Those films needed the cash more, in many ways. More on that later...

So, it's a comic book bought to life. Split screens. Written words on the screen, ala the 1960s Batman. None of it should work. But it does. And not just in a geek way. In a great film way too. It's a towering achievement. Easily Edgars best film. Deserving of more praise than it's getting.

If nothing else, Cult status awaits it on home (VHS?). And geeks wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm off to dye my hair blue and stalk Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

No comments: