Thursday 13 May 2010

"Rise And Rise Again, Until Lambs Become Lions"

The One Where I Argue Robin Hood Is NOT A 3/10 Film


I've wanted to see Robin Hood since it was announced Russell Crowe would play both the titled part, and also Sheriff of Nottingham. Rumours were that he would actually play both parts, or that both characters were one and the same person. Hollywood being Hollywood dropped that idea. In doing so, it created a problem. Robin Hoods worst enemy is himself... Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I love that film. But I'm not naive or devout enough to insist there is never another version. Its been fifteen odd years since the last Romeo and Juliet. I loved that too, but wouldn't be adverse to another version. So what does Ridley Scott do?

Well... in the first five minutes you have flaming arrows, and over the title card, an arrow fired direct to camera. I'm not sure if its a sly wink, or a flicking of the v's at fans of Thieves. Probably the latter. And I'm fine with it. I really liked this film.

Arguments that Crowe is too old are ridiculous. I love Christian Bale, but he would have been a terrible choice. Here, Crowe gets a brilliant balance between Gladiator and Master and Commander (my fave of those two. Both role, and film.) I locked in to his and Marions relationship too, which will be vitally important for viewers deciding whether the ending works.

If I had to name two films that this reminded me off, both in a good way... it would King Arthur (Fuqua's), and Batman Begins. You need to see the last five minutes to get that last link. The first link will send many screaming in terror. I quite liked it, though. There's a dirtiness to it.

Mark Strong continues to impress me, and I somehow missed that William Hurt was in it. Love that guy, too. The role that really knocked me back though surprised me. Max Von Sydow. Brilliant. And is Cate Blanchett the best actress in the world, right now?

A word of warning, the below trailer almost totally mis-sells the film as an action film. It's really not. In my opinion, it's more than that. I accept, and love that to many others, it will be less than that. My Dad had Robin and Marion, which I love. I had Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Now I have another one to sit alongside those great films.

Is a sequel out of the question, Ridley? Stay for the credits. They're a work of art, too.



Oh, oh... and the best bit?? My fave shot from the trailer? Not in the film. Did someone say Directors Cut?


UPDATED: Sweet. Ridley says Extended version!

2 comments:

KendallJaye said...

Yeah, but does he lose his accent half way thru?

-KJC

@maverick99sback said...

Ha.

His accent shifts a bit, but not to kiwi!

TBF, the movie explains at length that he's been on the Crusades with Richard the Lionheart for ten years - so god knows what accent he would have had!