Saturday 22 May 2010

"Oh Every Single One Of Us, Loves Cathy Ferguson"

The One Where United Memories Becomes A Regular 3:00PM Fixture


So... United Memories was meant to be a regular post, and then JMcGs stag got in the way.

I've thought about it, and logically, it should be a Saturday post. That's match day, right?

The idea is I will give you an idea of how/why I became devoted to a team, that I'm constantly reminded, I live no where near. A couple of friends have done the same, in one post recently, here and here.


My Dad is a huge United fan. George Best was his idol. My idol long term, was Becks. He influenced me, a huge amount. I remember to this day, when he did this...



We were on Holiday, in Boscastle. Pretty remote. I listened to the score roll in from a shops radio. You don't win anything with kids, do you? Well, in my lifetime - we've made a career of it. A lot is made of how Wenger gets rid of players when they start to top 30. Even Henry wasn't untouchable. The key difference is, United always move on. Ben Foster if he gets a run, and his confidence back, will be a great keeper. Fergie says we won't replace him, though. Instead, Amos comes through the ranks. Ten years younger, and already touted as the next England #1.

The point is, there will always be someone else. The new rules, (squad of 25, certain % being homegrown), affects us far less than any other team in the league. The big teams, anyway.



I'd love to think there will be another Becks. Ronaldo started to be that person. He craved Madrid from day one, though. I remember watching the Champions League Final versus Barca where they passed us to death, with JMcG. Before that, all the build up was how Ronaldo may be going. May not. It just over shadowed the game. Do you remember how Rooney played that night? Exactly. He was shoved over on the left, wasting away.

So, this was the day my Hero announced himself to the world. I've only ever bought two football shirts, that weren't United or England. And I wear A LOT (;-)) of football shirts. Madrid, when Becks was there. And LA Galaxy. I'll get a Milan one too.

Come back soon, Becks. Ambassador, Coach, whatever. And to everyone who thinks it was a fluke...

1 comment:

KendallJaye said...

My brother played 'soccer'. He was awesome enough to score on a corner kick. I think you'd like him. :)
-KJC